Friday, December 14, 2007

Who I Am

After the last two blogs I realized I really haven’t told you much about myself. For some of the people reading this blog you really don’t know me so I thought it would be a good opportunity for me to tell you a bit about myself. It is after all my favorite topic. haha.

Where do I begin? Well my name is Amanda. I enjoy long walks on the beach….. just kidding. Well that is one thing I love to laugh. I think laughter is the best medicine.

I’m kind of crazy and weird. Something most people love about me.

I have horrible grammar abilities and I’m thankful for spell check.

I love drinking green tea (Tazo) and watching Grey’s Anatomy.

I heart Starbucks.

I’m very talkative.

I’m very motivated and when I set my mind to something it will usually happen, eventually.

I’m a planner. I would be lost without my planner. I dislike doing things at the last minute.

I’m almost always fifteen minutes early to everything.

Spending time with my family and friends is my favorite thing to do. I would be lost without them.

So there you have it 10 random facts about me.

But here are some more serious things…

I’m adopted. I’m South Korean. I have two brothers and one sister. I’m the youngest. I have a genetic disorder called Oesteogensis Imperfecta. It has to do with the lack of collagen. It makes my bones brittle. Although my sister and I are not blood related, we both have the same disorder. Because of my disorder I’ve needed to use a wheelchair to get around all my life. Most people’s first reaction is, “that sucks.” It does sometimes. But my parents raised me to believe that if I put my mind to it I could do anything. It goes with my motto on life, “Where there is a will there is a way.” It has served me well as I am the first one from my family to go to a 4-year college and go out of the country!

My mother is my role my model. Being in college has allowed me to grow my appreciation for all that she has done for me. My father passed away in a plane crash when I was in middle school. It was the hardest thing that has ever happen to my mother. But she pulled it together and has raised us all on her own. I can now really understand all that sacrifices and things she has done for us and truly appreciate that.

I’m quiet optimistic as well. Some people say that I’m also naïve. I don’t think so. My optimism, my belief that if you want it you can do it, has served me well. It hasn’t allowed any obstacles get in my way. Like with college, finding funds was an obstacle but I didn’t let it get in the way. I put in the effort, the time, the determination, and found scholarships, applied for FAFSA, and got a job. Just with my upcoming traveling experience. Being in a wheelchair has brought considerations that most people don’t have to think about i.e. getting on the plane, making sure my chairs get to Australia in one piece…But I am not letting that get in my way.

Neither should you. If you want to do something, if you want to study abroad you should! Don’t let cost or obstacles get in your way. Find a way to overcome them. I’m not saying its going to be easy. In fact it probably will be difficult. But look at this way, its better to say that you tried than saying, “well I could have but I didn’t.” Don’t let reasons stop you. There will always be reasons. Life is so short. Live it.

I’m just saying if I can do it, you can too. I truly believe that. Please if you still need some more encouragement contact me. Maybe you have some worries? Maybe I can help you work through them.

Today’s advice: Be aware that fees will be coming up through your process. Which is why I recommend if you can save money, apply for scholarships, save extra scholarship money from other semesters, and/or ask for sponsorships early, ect. One thing I wasn’t quiet prepared for is all the different application fees that come up. There is your application fee for applying to the University, once accepted you have to pay another fee (like a down payment), there is also housing fees i.e. application fees and for me I just received another fee since I’ve been granted dorm housing (a down payment). The fees I am sure vary from program to program just be prepared they might come up. If it is a concern, ask your advisor to tell you all the fees that may come up so you can be prepared when they do.

I hope you all have a wonderful winter break. I’ll have limited internet access during break. So if you contact me or I don’t post many blogs that is why.

3 comments:

Jason said...

I love this post! You make me so proud Amanda! I am so excited for you to have the experience you are going to be having next semester, and congrats on the Gilman!!

I am going to miss you!!

Jason said...

Amanda, you make me so proud!! Congrats on the Gilman. I am so excited for you to get to experience this next semester! You are going to have such an incredible time, but I am going to miss you!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm sitting in bed, reading your blog and thinking to myself how was I so lucky to meet such an amazing young woman and have her as a friend. As much as I am going to miss you, I am excited for this new path in your life, and I know that because you are Amanda you will be successful and triumph over any obstacles that will come your way. You give me so much strength, and when you need it while your down there (if you need it), let me know . Congrats on the scholarship(s), and I know many more oppurtunities will be coming your way.
Much love!!
Dele