Monday, January 14, 2008

The Future Freaks Me Out

As January quickly passes by (at least it feels like it t0 me) I start become more anxious and nervous about this adventure that I am going on.

I spoke to soon when I said that there was nothing to do now but to leave. My airplane ticket situation is slowly falling into place. As of right now it looks like I am leaving February 6th at 5pm from Tucson going to LAX for a five hour lay over. I have told this to my friends and they say, "that sucks." I however, am excited about it. Funny I know but since this is my first time flying alone and only the second time actually going somewhere on a plane I am excited and ready for this adventure.

I have been assure by my sponsor for the airline ticket that United will assist me from that plane to Quantas terminal. However, I like to be precautions so I plan on calling them myself to double check.

Here are some important numbers that you might find useful. Unfortunately they are only for the airlines I plan on using. However, it is important if you are traveling with a disability to contact airlines and let them know that assistance you will need.

Quantas 800-233-4414
United 800-241-6522
Delta 800-221-1212

I also learned just how important having contacts is. I called Quantas to arrange the traveling of my chairs (they want all these measurements i.e. height of the chair, weight, width, ect.). I was told by them that taking two chairs cost extra, about $150. I didn't think that sounded right esp. since I really need both to get around. I explained that to them but they told me from their point of view I didn't need both (as if they know me?!?). However, I didn't think it worth arguing right then and there so I contacted Cyndi (please see past post for contact info) and asked her. She did some research for me and found that I shouldn't be charged. Only if you are taking a specialized chair for likes sports or mountain use can they charged. Under the Airlines Carriers Access Act airlines cannot charge. Cyndi also gave me a number to contact if I run into difficulties. Here it is: Disability Air Access: 800-778-4838. If you get problems with airlines because they are not provided the reasonable accommodations you need contact them.

Tip of the Day: Make sure to start making a list of important contact information. So far I have number for like the place I will be staying at, a repair shop for my chair, and Cyndi, ect.

No comments: