Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Be Assertive

I think the best tip I can give you, is to remember be assertive. Along with being assertive you should be persistent, patient, and calm. Sometimes during the process of planning and dealing with such things as airlines you will find yourself frustrated. In the beginning I had troubles with UOW getting back to be about questions I had. But I didn't give up, I was persistent, patient, and calm. For example, I would send emails with questions, and weeks would go by and I would hear nothing from them. So I would do follow up with another email, saying something like, " Just wanted to make sure you got my last email"or "It has been a few weeks since I have heard from you and I just wanted to check in to see if there is anything I needed to." I had to do this often not only with UOW but also with arranging my airline travel. Remember, arranging details and everything is up to you. I have found it helpful to keep an agenda and make lists so I make sure to stay on top of everything and get everything done.

I also say to be assertive because you will need assistance that people such as airlines may not be familiar with. If you don't stand up and be assertive about these needs you may be walked over.

This all may sound daunting to you. It did to me. However, just keep your mind focus on the end goals and the positive aspects that will come out of it in the end. Remember all things in life has challenges, but I like to think it is challenges that make us a stronger person.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amanda:

You have my sincerest admiration, and I know that your experience in Australia will be edifying and wonderful. Assertion, if used appropriately, is a sign of conviction and commitment. Have a great study abroad semester.