Monday, March 24, 2008

Falling In Love With sYdNey

I have no idea where to begin and once I do how I can stop. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around all that happen in Sydney. Which honestly wasn't as crazy as it may sound but if you consider my standards of craziness it was.

There is not enough time in a day or energy in me to give you a play by play instead I'll try to give you some highlights...and let your imagination take care of the rest.

I was a mix of emotions before I left. I was surprisingly calm while a bit apprehensive since it was my first time riding a train and alone. I've been doing that a lot lately...:)

My trip to Sydney was good boost in self confidence. I love the city because as a wheelchair user it is easier to get around. Granted that the sidewalk ramps kind of suck because most of them had lips so I had to go backwards on all of them...

I almost fell out of my chair like three times! Once when I got to Central Station in Sydney, another when I was trying to cross the street but there was a lip, and one other time when I was getting on the Skyway at the Blue Mountains.

But compared to Wollongong (although I love it here...) I could go places easily on a bus or train. Which means a lot cheaper. Plus I got really lucky and almost never paid for a bus ride. Which isn't standard since my friend Colin in Sydney who is in a wheelchair too says he's been paying the whole time. haha.

But here are all the places I went:
Sydney Opera House
Darling harbor
aquarium
The Rock (Its the oldest part of Sydney which also means not so much wheelchair accessibility) BUT getting into the expensive shops like Tiffany's was not hard...lol
Sydney Tower
Minus Five (A club in Sydney that the room is minus 5 degrees)
Botanical Gardens
White Mountains

By the end of the first day money was already running low....But I was able to get all my souvenir and gift shopping done. In addition to buy yet another cute dress. Hey it was only $10! haha

Things I experienced:
lifts
street corners
running into people I know on the street
sharks on top of me
meat pies (with free sausage roll!)
free pictures from Minus Five (normally cost $30!)
kebab
creepy guys
staying in a hostel (wheelchair accessible: YHA Railway)
being spontaneous
trolley ride (wheelchair accessible up in Blue Mountains!)
train rides
train stations
finding a beer I like
wine tasting
living off Hungry Jacks, coffee, and some sleep
Tai food
singing
drunk texting (but not really being drunk...)
shopping
free rides
naked men
cute guys opening doors
cute bartenders
cute but dumb waiters
romantic walks on harbour
realizing I need a rich boyfriend
places closing by 4pm
charging chair in coffee shops
and I'm sure so much more that I am not remembering....lol.

Sydney was amazing. I was sad to leave.



Kind of changing of subject...

I've started to notice how things keep happening when I leave. That life goes on. Not that I didn't think that was going happen. I knew it would...but it feels strange to talk to my family back home or talk to friends and hear all that is happening to them. I sometimes feel like I'm missing out. Even here, I left Campus East just for a few days and I come back to all this stuff happening...I just wish I could be in two places at once. I think that is were the homesickness comes in.

I've been trying to post pictures but blogspot isn't cooperating....I'll figure out a way some how. Just not right now because I need to get some homework done as I am leaving again tomorrow morning bright and early for camp.

1 comment:

Jason said...

Sydney sounds like so much fun!! I will have to get out there some day. That Minus Five place sounds so cool. Did you have clothes made for that weather, or did they give you a cloak or something when you went in? And naked men?? What have you been up to Amanda... :)