Saturday, April 26, 2008

ANZAC Day and Taronga Zoo

It is pitch black out and cold. Slowly groups of people make their way to the center of town. They gather around. For awhile, there is just the sounds of voices in conversation. Then all of a sudden the beat of drums begin. In formation men in uniform march through the crowd into the center. The ceremony begins. Prayers are read. It begins to rain. And as if part of the ceremony, in unison people pull their umbrellas. The ceremony goes on. We are reminded of the sacrifice of the men who have served Australia in war. Emphasis is placed on the Gallipoli the battle that is said to be the day Australia became recognized as its own country. The Australia anthem is played. It commences the Dawn Service of ANZAC Day.

ANZAC Day is like Veteran's Day back home. However, more emphasis is placed on it here. It is also a excuse people use to drink super early in the morning and all through the day. After the ceremony a breakfast was served, all they asked for was a gold coin donation. In return we received a full on breakfast (eggs, bacon, hash browns ect) and a fee drink (which could have been alcohol if you so chose).

Saturday I hopped on a train with my friend Suzie and her sister Megan. We went to Sydney to the Taronga Zoo. Can I say amazing? I feel so at home in Sydney. Taronga Zoo seriously puts Reid Park to shame. I rode a ferry for the first time and the Skyline is so much cooler than the one at the Blue Mountains. I got to see kangaroos which is pretty much all I really wanted to see since I was in Australia after all. I also saw koala bears, zebras, birds, lions, giraffes ect.

I also fell in love (in a motherly way) with this adorable cute little boy who only spoke Japanese so he had no idea what I was saying. It was so cute he kept inching his way close and closer to me. And then he played footsies with me. When he put his hand in mind I realized just how precious life is.

It was a good thing I met that boy because all that day I kept thinking how annoying little kids are. Trying to remember why it is I want to work with them when I grow up and have children of my own one day.

I'll post pictures up soon! Right now I'm trying to be productive in life since I pretty much enjoyed this weekend. haha.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"When he put his hand in mind I realized just how precious life is."

I loved that line, and I am glad your faith in children has been restored. Mine is lacking:)

Love ya

Jason said...

This sounds like an incredible experience. Glad you enjoyed the weekend, but I am still waiting for pictures!!