Sunday, April 20, 2008

Nan Tiem Temple

I went to a Buddhist temple today with my Black Opal group. Once you drove into the grounds you immediately felt like you have traveled to a different country. The trees and plants are all different from the ones I've seen in Wollongong. Which is saying a lot because even the plants and trees I've seen in Wollongong are different to me than the desert plants I'm used to back home. The grounds at Nan Tiem are very well taken care of.

Nan Tiem was built in 1993 and lucky for me was very wheelchair accessible.

Upon arrival we immediately are taken to eat some tasty vegetarian food. I normally do not like curry but I liked it there. At this point though any food that isn't Campus East is amazing to me. We also had tempura which reminded me of home and going with my friends to Japanese restaurants. :)

Afterwards we had a guide take us around the grounds and to the temples. It was interesting to hear about Buddhism and what everything means to them. Later on he also discussed the basics of Buddhism. Most of it I'll be completely honest I really didn't absorbed. But this is how I interpreted the main message: That it is important to experience the here and now. Not to dwell on the past or look to the future. Expectations usually let people down because we are never satisfied and always want more, even when we get what we want. So we shouldn't expect things but enjoy what we have, enjoy the present.

I've always wanted to learn more about other religions so I'm really glad I had the opportunity to learn about Buddhism.

We also did some Tai Chi and meditation. I had a really hard time clearing my mind. Although some how I fell a sleep for brief moments here and there. lol Not that it was boring. However, I had thought the meditation would be my favorite part and actually I enjoyed Tai Chi the best.

And now I'm in my room (as it continues to rain outsides....) eating BBQ rice crackers (not the kind in the states that are rice cakes) these are crackers and I'm addicted to them. hehe.


Here are some pictures:


2 comments:

Jason said...

This temple looks cool!! It looks a bit like some of the stuff that I saw when I was in China. I don't know much about Tai Chi...

Anonymous said...

I think that is really cool that you all went there. Sometimes you end up falling asleep when you meditate, I have done it before.

:)