Sunday, February 10, 2008

Could Be Better Could Be Worse

When I woke up this morning, I was apprehensive because I knew I would be trying to get my chair fixed. I was able to get a hold of someone quiet quickly actually. The front desk called for me and within an hour someone came and took the chair. He called an hour ago. Prognosis: apparently in essence I broke the battery charger. Although I knew that I would need a converter to plug it in, my dealer never told me about there being a switch on the battery charger that needs to be changed in different countries. Even the guy said there was no way for me to know. But I am a bit pissed my dealer didn’t tell me even when I had told him I was going to Australia! It looks like it is going to cost over $300 to fix it too. The guy isn’t sure how long it will take either because he says customer service here in Wollongong with Invocare is slow. I figure I’ll wait a few days and if I hear nothing I’ll see if I can get a loaner from them because Orientation is next week and I want to see more of UOW before then.

Which leads me to much brighter news…

I decided I did not want to spend all day sitting in my room. I went to Uni (aka the University) just to the food/stores/post office area. There is no way I could have made it any further than that because there are so many inclines everywhere. It really helps that I’m not shy because when I knew I couldn’t make it up a hill I just asked someone.

I am so glad I decided to go. I cannot even begin to start expressing just how beautiful just the little area I saw. Luckily, I brought my camera to help me show you just how amazing it is! I almost felt like I was in a forest because there is so much green. Green grass and tall green trees. And birds hanging out with humans! Honestly, my first thought looking at it was, “I don’t want to go back home!” lol. I love UA’s campus but it cannot compare to how beautiful UOW is. It is more than just beautiful it is peaceful too (I realize though that part of that peacefulness could be because no one is around…)

I met some more people. Shasquich and I met up at Uni for lunch and she introduced me to two of her friends. One was another Japanese girl and the other Indonesia. I’m really loving how I am meeting all these people. I really didn’t think I was going to have the opportunity to be able to meet so many people from different Asian backgrounds.

Enjoy more pictures:


Some Australian currency:


Can you believe I was this close!
This was the scene I beheld that really did me in...



Australians version of a rooster... I say this because it is loud and it is the sound I usually wake up to in the morning.
Kookaburras

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was that a lake? I am proud of you for not letting your wheelchair difficulties keep you from having fun and exploring the place. It looks wonderful from the pictures. You need to eat something very Australian so you can tell me all about it.

Jason said...

That's one pretty looking rooster :)
Ouch, 300 dollars...
I am loving reading your blog and these pictures so keep them coming!!

Jason said...

Oh, and yay for the word Uni--that's that universities are called in Germany as well!!