Saturday, February 9, 2008

A Piece of Wollongong

Once again I have found how fortunate I am that everyone is so nice here. At breakfast I met two other people. One is Vietnamese, his name is Ming. He’s only here for a few more weeks. He is in the Engineering program; the same one Andrew is in. I also met Shasquich (bare in mind that is probably not how her name is spelled but my phonetic spelling of it.) She is Japanese and will be here for the semester as I will be too. Both hadn’t been to the beach yet and as I was giving them directions they offered to take me with them. Afterwards they also took me to a shopping area. Only Woodruffs was open. It is shocking (to me at least) how expensive things are here.

I should note though that only Woodruff was wheelchair accessible. Most of the other shops here have a step to get into. Although I saw a couple restaurants which were easy to get into and the post office looked like it had a ramp. The few pubs we went by had several steps leading up to the entrance and it didn’t look like there were any ramps around.

The sidewalks are quiet bumpy and some of the ramps leading off have a lip. But it isn’t too bad and reminds me of how it is like going from UA to downtown or 4th Ave. I also saw one guy in a wheelchair pushing along down the sidewalk and another in a scooter going up the very step bridge. So for the most part I think I will be alright getting around as long as I continue meeting nice people so willing to help me.

Here are some pictures:




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so going to come back more Asian, I told you there are A LOT there. Learn some Korean okay!! Then come back and teach me ^__^

Jason said...

I can't get over the beauty of the scenery in your pictures, and your Japanese friend looks very nice. You said things are expensive there...can you give an example? Like how much is milk or bread or something basic like that?