Thursday, February 28, 2008

I've Always Wanted To...

Last night I realized that I've been doing all these things here that I've always wanted to do but never have. There was this orientation session for Campus East a week ago and the person was telling us that while you are here you should have at least one cultural experience a week. That statement haunted my thoughts for a bit because I was thinking that I wasn't doing that. Than again I think I was thinking to hard about it and not really thinking about everything I have done. So although not all the things I've done, that I've always wanted to do, are exactly "Australian" culture (but my AUST 101 class might argue it is...) they are still amazing experiences nevertheless.

Here is my list:
*Go to Australia!
*Tried Vegemite
*Learned to really enjoy cream in my tea.
*Have my hand read
Which by the way wasn't too impressive since I found out I really do know how to read hands because most of the things he told me I had saw in my own hands or have had someone else tell me before. Which is kind of cool if you think about it because of consistency and accuracy reasons.
*Watch the sunset on the beach
*Dance all night (or close to it...)

On a different note...academic wise I'm having mix emotions. I'm freaking out because the load is heavier than people expressed. But than again I always freak out...Although the load seems harder (or at least the same at UA) I'm finding that I'm enjoying the topics I'm signed up for. I have a Professor for two of my classes which are totally two different topics, one is about the Cold War and the other about Stalin and Hitler. I was so happy to see that I had him for the second class because he's the kind of history teacher I love. He tells history like it is a story. My AUST 101 professor could learn something from him. Maybe if she talked the way he did I wouldn't want to fall asleep. :) However, the reading for the class so far isn't bad. I like my EESC101 Planet Earth class too but I find it hard to stay awake in that class. Mostly because learning about rocks isn't the most stimulating topic. But when he mixes it with how you can look at rocks to figure out how old it is then its pretty cool.

I met with the Black Opal coordinators here. They were so nice and welcoming. They gave me free stuff and told me they would take care of me! If your a Blue Chip student and your reading this I strongly encourage you to start planning to study abroad here at Wollongong. I realize I've only been here for four weeks now but the time so far has been amazing.

3 comments:

Jason said...

Got another postcard from you-yippee!! Your classes sound interesting, and I am so glad that you are enjoying yourself as much as you are!! I hope you continue to find that balance between work and play!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are having fun and doing things you have always wanted to do. I cannot believe it had been four weeks since you left.

Time is flying by!!

Jamie M. Blanchard said...

i love reading your blogs amanda! i hope that you accomplish everything you could ever dream of while down under.